Hi guys, my apologies for a 2 day gap in my posts.
Without much ado, let’s get started!
In the skin food world, E is for Egg.
Eggs are loved by most people. We even have eggetarians who love eggs. There is always a controversy around them in India whether eggs are vegetarian or non-vegetarian? You guys decide for yourself. All I can say that eggs are excellent source of a plethora of nutrients. They are called “reference protein”. They have all the 9 essential amino acids and hence are called complete protein. Egg whites are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, potassium, calcium, B 12, folate, thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, copper, zinc, iron, and phosphorous.
Let’s see the benefits of eggs for skin.
- Amino acids: Eggs contain all 9 essential amino acids. The body uses these amino acids to generate new proteins within your skin cells. Some of these skin proteins like collagen and elastin provide strength to the skin tissues. They help in keeping skin supple, tout and youthful.
- Antioxidants: Eggs contain two major antioxidants- lutein and zeaxanthin. These are known to quadruple the protection against the UV damage that leads to lines, brown spots, and cancer. Thus they prevent premature ageing of the skin.
- Vitamin A: Egg yolk is a rich source of vitamin A. Vitamin A helps in the process of cell formation and repairs cell damage. Low vitamin A levels negatively affect the skin and cause the skin to become scaly, rough and dry. Hence adequate vitamin A is required to keep the skin hydrated and radiant.
- Vitamin D: Eggs are among the few food sources of vitamin D. Vitamin D plays a critical role in skin’s cell development and repair. It mobilizes skin’s immune system and helps destroy free radicals that cause premature ageing.
- Zinc: Zinc is an essential skin vitamin. It is anti-inflamatory and promotes wound healing. It plays a major role in acne control. Several studies indicate that dietary zinc helps reduce acne. Dietary zinc is best absorbed from animal sources. Hence egg is a good source of zinc to have in the diet.
- Selenium: Selenium is a powerful antioxidant. It is essential for the immune system. Studies suggest that a selenium-rich diet can help to protect against skin cancer, sun damage and age spots. Selenium activates enzymes in your skin cells and they protect skin against damage.
Guys, there is lot that eggs do for our skin. All more reasons for egg lovers to indulge themselves.
Here comes the recipe……..
Shakshuka is a Tunisian-Israeli dish of eggs in tomato sauce. The flavours suite the Indian palate very well. This dish makes for a great breakfast or a quick meal. Traditionally egg shakshuka is served with challah (Israeli bread). It can also be served with any crusty bread like baguette. It is a delicious recipe and a welcome change from omelette and scrambled eggs.
I have adapted this recipe to my taste from the original recipe from Lydia Walshin’s recipe posted on The Perfect Pantry.
2-3 tsp canola/olive oil
1 large onion
2-4 garlic cloves minced
2 large tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
spices to taste: chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, black pepper powder.
salt to taste
1 green chilly
1/4th cup crumbled paneer(cottage cheese)
1/4th cup water
fresh coriander for garnishing.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed flat pan. Once hot, add chopped onion and saute until soft.
- Add garlic and green chilly and stir.
- Add all the spices and give a quick stir.
- Quickly add chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Add tomato puree, salt and water and cook on slow flame till the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Once the curry is done add crumbled paneer and cook for a minute.
- Then make 4 small indentations in the curry and crack open eggs into each of them.
- Cover the pan and cook till the eggs are done. If you want runny eggs, then cook for 10 mins. If you want the eggs firm and cooked through(like I do), cook for 15 to 20 mins. Make sure they don’t get burned at the bottom. Keep the flame low.
- Serve an egg per person and garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
Note: Paneer is optional. My daughter loves it that way and hence I add. You can skip it altogether.
Enjoy this delicious and quick recipe and please let me know your about your experience.